Thursday, December 8, 2011

18 CANDLES..................

November 19th was my 18th birthday. At first I wasn't going to have a birthday party, but at the last minute (two days before to be exact), I decided to have one.

  The day before my birthday I made one layer of my cake. All went really well except for the fact that our water had stopped working the day before...so I had no way to wash dishes. Then it came to me as I was looking out the window at the snow piled up outside...So, I went out  and scooped some snow into a big bowl, then hurried back into the warm house. One of the girls we were babysitting and I did this a few more times, melted the snow on the stove, and I washed dishes with the water...I felt very hard core ;)





Decorating with streamers...

and lights :)


On the day of my birthday I made the other layer of my cake, the frosting, and then I frosted the cake.



The cake I had been envisioning ever since I started thinking about my cake was a very chocolatey, rich, yummy cake.

The recipe I used for the cake turned out very closely to what I was hoping for.  For the frosting, I used the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Frosting recipe, but I used chocolate chips as well as the cocoa powder, and not as much sugar. It was soo good.




Before:


And after :) :


Milk Chocolate Mousse Cake with Hazelnut Crunch Crust (Minus the mousse and the hazelnut crunch crust....just the cake)
Adapted from Bon Appetite Magazine.

Ingredients

Cake

  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup sifted all purpose flour (sifted, then measured)
  • 1/3 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process; sifted, then measured)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • Preparation

    cake

  • Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line bottom of 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides with parchment paper. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Spoon off foam from top of butter and discard. Spoon clear yellow butter into small metal bowl, leaving water and milk solids in bottom of pan. Add vanilla to butter in bowl; set clarified butter aside.
  • Sift flour and cocoa powder together 3 times into medium bowl. Whisk eggs and sugar in large metal bowl to blend. Place bowl with egg mixture in large skillet of barely simmering water; whisk constantly until egg mixture is lukewarm (105°F), about 2 minutes. Remove bowl from water. Place bowl with clarified butter in hot water in same skillet over low heat to keep warm.
  • Using electric mixer, beat egg mixture until cool and tripled in volume, about 5 minutes. Sift 1/3 of flour-cocoa mixture over egg mixture and gently fold in with rubber spatula. Fold in remaining flour-cocoa mixture in 2 more additions. Fold 1 cup of cake batter into warm clarified butter until incorporated. Using rubber spatula, gently fold butter-cake batter mixture into remaining cake batter.
  • Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean and top springs back slightly when gently pressed, about 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack. DO AHEADCan be made 1 day ahead. Cover; store at room temperature.
  • Run knife between pan sides and cake to loosen. Invert cake onto rack; remove parchment. Using long serrated knife, trim top of cake horizontally, forming 3/4-inch-high cake layer. Using bottom of 8-inch-diameter springform pan as guide, trim around sides of cake to form 8-inch round cake.
"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting
 Adapted from Hershey's.com.

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

No comments: