Saturday, February 19, 2011

Flood of memories...

I am missing the place where I'm from more than usual today. I miss the beaches the most, I think. I miss the people I know. I miss the vineyards and the rolling hills. I miss the fog that creeps in in the evening. I miss the smell of that fog. The smell of apple orchards. The smell of creeks. The familiar sidewalks. Wearing flip flops during the winter. Black and white cows. I miss oak trees. Grocery store workers who I know, only because I went to those stores so often...Redwood trees...Side roads I know so well, I can travel them in my head. Eucalyptus trees. I miss sunny, warm December days. I miss childhood memories that I can't go back to. Story-time in the playhouse. Star gazing in our back yard. Making forts and having sleepovers with my sisters. Re-enacting movies with Laura in our backyard. I miss memories...



I'm sure you could make a list as long, or maybe even longer, of things that make the place where you grew up special. Someday, if I ever move away from the
place I'm living now, I know I will say I miss it, and maybe I will make a list of all those things that made it special too. Sometimes I get more "home" sick than usual, and I have all these memories in my head that need to go somewhere. So, there they are.





No comments: